I shouldn't have been cooking today. But I did anyway. And it wasn't just lunch I made. I had the nerve to pull out potatoes and breadcrumbs to make croquettes for "future bentos", but I'll talk about that the next time. Let's hope it's not tomorrow because it'll mean I didn't do my schoolwork again.
I used a 1/4 of the kabocha (Japanese pumpkin) in this recipe but have leftovers for the cream/sauce (cream sounds better but there's no cream since I substituted it with milk). I supposed I would just add more milk to it to make a soup for tomorrow's lunch or mix it into a mac and cheese. The first time I made it, Anyhow, the recipe's very simple and really satisfying (at least to me) but do remember to eat it hot since I find that the pumpkin can be a little too cloying when cooled.
Spaghetti with Pumpkin Cream
1 handful frozen edamame, with pods
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/4 small kabocha, peeled, seeded and cubed
1/2 a bouillon cube
Salt and pepper
1 serving spaghetti
Grated Parmesan cheese
- Boil edamame with pods in boiling water for 3 mins. Drain, let cool and pop the beans out from the pods. Set aside
- In a small saucepan, fry chopped onions and garlic with a little oil until fragrant and onions turn translucent.
- Add cubed kabocha to the saucepan and fry for 1 - 2 mins.
- Add milk and enough water to cover the pumpkin. Stir in the bouillon cube. Alternatively, you can also use only water or only milk and season with just salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer the pumpkin until tender. If you think there's too much liquid, let it reduce slightly over medium heat.
- Let the pumpkin cool a little before blending till smooth.
- Add milk, bit by bit, until it reaches your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper but keep in mind that parmesan cheese will also increase the saltiness. You can also use cream if you like.
- Cook spaghetti as per packet instructions until al dente. Drain and return to the cooking pot.
- Add edamame, parmesan and pumpkin cream to spaghetti and toss well.
- Serve immediately.